The way Ambedkar's ideas and vision has influenced people's lives in general, His birth anniversary is not just another social occasion. Ambedkarite idea is not for a day at all and in fact this is to be imbibed and inculcated on a regular and day to day basis. Some political parties or media houses shower big praise on Ambedkar on this day but does not follow his social agenda on other days. This is highly unfortunate. It is crucial that we allow the most dedicated and effective public intellectual of Modern India to be a part of our thoughts and actions on a routine level. The author feels that among so many other ways, 14th April may be celebrated in the following ways to make that count in a bigger way:
1. Education and not information acquisition: Ambedkar's solution was simple. All the suffering people need to embrace the cause of education to fight and dismantle all strategies employed against them. Only education and then free thinking gives the power and authority to break apart any anti-human agenda. April 14 is the day to visit the places of highest academic excellence. Ambedkar never focused on material accumulation and left behind his books and knowledge. Reading and writing on a regular basis can be the starting point.
2. Observe Gender Equality: Strengthen you resolve to support the cause of gender equality around us. Ambedkar was clear that a society's progress can be measured with the position of the women in a society. Therefore a civil and respectful attitude towards them is an absolute must. Stop and give your 100 per cent if you find any women in distress and difficulty. This idea sounds too abstract but has to be practiced on a daily bases such as cleaning and cooking in the household. Domestic violence deserves no place in any civilised society.
3. Unity is indispensable: Ambedkar pointed out that all the power brokers are able to have their unethical ways through dismantling the social unity of the masses. People are divided on the basis of one or the other factor so that they can be enslaved. By being United at the social level, it is not difficult to overcome any system of inequality and injustice.
4. Be Original: Keep your eyes open but never follow anyone. Ambedkar read all major people but drew his own strategy to utilise his physical and mental energies. It is very important to remember that every person is the most unique entity of this Universe and if he/she imitates anyone without self-belief, that is equal to self-killing or suicide. Appo Deepo Bhava or be thy own light- self belief as suggested by Ambedkar shall prove to be a true remembrance and tribute to Bodhisatva Dr Ambedkar.
5. Time management: Leave the bed before 5 every day. After 5, if you remain bed-ridden, it has to be clear that you shall not achieve anything substantially at individual level as well as social level. Therefore it is extremely important to wake up and gear up for all the challenges latest by 5. Ambedkar too had this habit and to add to this he had no time to go to bed. There was never any occasion when he slept for more than four hours.
6. Clarity and Higher Purpose is real essence of life. Given the gross commercialisation, education does not equip us with clarity and a purpose beyond material enhancement. Ambedkar in his lifetime showed that one has to be unambiguous and set up a sky high and meaningful purpose of life. We do not need to just survive but excel for the fullest realisation of our human potential.
7. Power of positivity is the antidote passed on to us by Dr Ambedkar. Often in our personal and social lives, we have to face a lot of humiliation, disrespect and negativity. There has to be a firm faith and the same has to be dealt with a positive attitude and fighting spirit. In this fight we may lose a lot at the personal level, we have to sacrifice a lot. Also, if one has to choose between personal and social gain, the realisation has to be there that only social will determine the individual and if the social interests are defeated, no way can individual interests be protected.
8. Annihilation of Caste is the only way forward. Ambedkar threw all his scholarship of over 40 years to prove that we cannot establish an equal and just society without annihilation of caste. Therefore those who have faced the harsh and brutal side of caste system need to ne custodians of this anti-human system. Breaking caste and its vicious operations will be an everlasting tribute to the Social Champion.
9. Love music and nature. Ambedkar felt that music and nature bring evenness in human thoughts and therefore has to have seamlessly merged into our lives. April 14 is the day to feel the influence of both.
10. The idea of Family. None of the family members survived Ambedkar's social struggle for an egalitarian society. He believed in the idea of Universal family. He did not rest till the last moment of his life thinking about the pains of suffering people. Therefore April 14 is the day to redefine the idea of family and broaden the seemingly prevalent notion for the larger social good.
11. Giving and sacrifice constitutes life. If you are aged between 18 to 60, donate blood and also promise to donate your organs to reflect the spirit of supreme sacrifice perfectly demonstrated by Dr Ambedkar. Giving and that too for the sake of giving has to be the way of life.